The Site Wi-Fi provides internet access for guests with laptops and other Wi-Fi enabled devices via a voucher system (purchased in the office).
- £3 voucher for 1 day– available from reception and on-line at site. The voucher is valid for 24 hours internet access after first login whichever occurs first. Voucher for two devices . Terms and conditions apply.
- £12 voucher for 1 week– available from reception and on-line at site. The voucher is valid for 168 hours (1 week) internet access after first login whichever occurs first. Voucher for two devices. Terms and conditions apply.
Site Wi-Fi Coverage and Internet Speed
During 2016 we invested in our Wi-Fi service to increase the bandwidth, and improve the reliability and speed of our Wi-Fi which extends across the Park. The speed of the internet connection is dependent upon the distance to the local exchange from the site and the number of users trying to use the service at the same time.
The Wi-Fi will be slower than in your own home, as though we have increased our bandwidth, multiple guests may be accessing the internet consecutively. As a consequence our Wi-Fi supports basic web surfing and emails but cannot support video or TV streaming e.g. BBC iplayer and YouTube, FaceTime and Skype or any computer updates.
To achieve the best signal/speed ideally a line of sight to an antenna is desired. We try to make the Wi-Fi available 100% of the time though signal and speed is effected by the outdoor environment. We are exposed to the same failures you may see even at home such as line failures that impact not just our sites but the local area. When these occur we work with BT to get you back online as soon as possible.
How to connect to Wi-Fi
A customer first has to connect to the Wi-Fi network by searching for a signal on their device. Once a Wi-Fi signal is obtained, they then open a browser. This presents a login page where a customer can select to pay by credit card or by voucher for Site Wi-Fi. It is a good idea for a customer to check that they can get this landing page before purchasing a voucher.
To complete the login process customers can buy a voucher from the site reception for one of the three durations available that they intend to use. Once they have entered their details they will be allowed access to the internet to browse websites, send and receive emails etc; and the clock is started. When the duration of time that has been purchased expires, the user cannot access the internet and will need to buy more access time.
How secure is it?
Caerfai Bay Caravan & Tent Park Wi-Fi is the same as any open access Wi-Fi received from hotspots (for example in café’s/pubs). Open access Wi-Fi is open and insecure therefore we recommend you take some basic steps to protect your device and your information:
- Install robust and updateable anti-virus software and personal firewalls.
- Ensure that your device is password protected.
- Don’t leave your device unattended in a public place, and lock it if necessary.
- Be careful not to leave your credit card details exposed.
- Only enter any personal banking details once you know the website is secure (look for the padlock symbol on your browser and click on it to confirm the site is secure).
- Use a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) if connecting to a work network.